Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Anti-Social" Media

  I caved under pressure. My children insisted for months that I start an account on facebook. Reluctantly, but with a little excitement, I did.
  You see, I have family living in other States that are on facebook and I truly was anxious to keep in better touch with them and I have, but I have also found that some of the things I thought less attractive about facebook and "social media" in general to be real. 
  You shouldn't say (or post) everything that pops into your brain, especially when you are angry with your husband, annoyed with your child or someone just cut you off in traffic. People post "rants" about issues that follow their agenda without thought to the "friends" feelings on the other end.  Folks are also losing their sense of privacy, it went when cell phones became popular and people began having personal phone conversations in the middle of the grocery store!
   It is fine to "keep up" with current technology, but forgetting manners and being thoughtless of others just to say what WE think benefits no one. Our expression on facebook should be as purposeful and polite as if the person was standing before us, but wait, maybe the problem is that we have forgotten how to carry on a conversation where one person speaks and the other responds,where we are truly interested in the other persons thoughts and concerns or what THEY are trying to communicate.
  I don't have an answer, but as a Christian woman I know that we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves in an appropriate fashion. I want to always uplift and encourage my "friends", both believers and non-believers. As always, it's a choice. Are we being salt and light?
  As for my facebook experience, it has it's place. I love hearing from my kids, nieces, nephews, sisters and friends living away. The daily "little things" they share are priceless. I'm delighted when I hear the latest words of wisdom from a toddler or someone shares a funny video. Prayer requests are one of my favorite posts because I might not have known without FB. Just remember as we are to keep our tongues under control we should also "bridle" our keyboards, both can be deadly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment