Saturday, June 30, 2012

Proverbs 31 Bothers Me!

  I know it sounds a little crazy for a believer like me, in her fifties, having been gloriously saved at a young age to say this but, Proverbs 31 Bothers Me! 
  It starts with warnings about "not giving your strength unto women" or "to ways that destroyeth kings". It proceeds to warn of the dangers of wine and strong drink, then recommends  occasions when "drink" would be appropriate, at death and when depressed, maybe to forget. I will leave that part alone for now, but what really bugs me comes next.
    The part that bothers me and has for years, starts in verse 10. "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies". This is the verse we have heard a thousand times, every Mother's Day, at Mother/Daughter Banquets and surely every Woman's Retreat or Conference I have ever been to. 
  This woman loves and respects her husband, takes good care of her children, tends diligently to her home. She rises early, making sure everyone in her household is fed, she is considered wise in business, she is productive, even till late hours in the day. She is charitable, never lazy, kind and "looks well" to her home and family. She is the splendid example of what we all as Christian mothers and wives, women, want to be.
    To address the initial question, let me say, " I can". My life has been "full" of this "kind" of woman. Both of my Mothers were a Proverbs 31 woman, women in my church taught me, and lived lives before me that brought THIS woman to life before my eyes everyday. I praise them and I believe their families have "risen up and called them blessed", but what about the ones that never HEAR a word of praise? What about those who never hear a word of thanks, who never receive praise, either publicly or privately? How painful this passage must be.
  This chapter has always held the strongest reminder to me, that we must not find our identity in the things of this earth. Not even our families, no matter how loving. We are the daughters of Almighty God, bought with a price, not our own. Our families may never "rise up", some husbands will never "call us blessed".  The woman that fears the Lord, honors Him, serves as unto Him, "SHE shall be praised". 
  I will continue to discuss this chapter with the Lord. Maybe He will change my perspective or maybe that is the message God intended for me as I strive to be a Proverbs 31 woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment